Recipe: Step By Step Guide On How To Make Delicious Coconut Bread
Coconut Bread is divine- yes, that is like the best adjective that qualifies it and you should try it. Contrary to what you think, it is cost effective and a great way to step up your cuisine.
Below is a step by step process on how to make Coconut bread:
Ingredients for Coconut bread filling
- 1 lb frozen grated coconut, ~ 3 Cups
- 2 C water
- 2 Tbs of butter
- 5 oz can evaporated milk (one small can)
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp coconut essence
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Directions for coconut bread filing
1. Defrost coconut by setting at room temperature or microwaving for a minute or two. Place coconut along with other ingredients in a deep pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil on medium high. Reduce heat to medium and cook until most of the water is gone (about 15-20 minutes.)
3. Stir frequently so that the coconut does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Coconut should be moist, not dry. When done, set aside and allow to cool.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
- 4 1/2 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 Cup of margarine
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1 1/3 C milk
How to prepare the bread dough
1. Measure out and combine 4 C of flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the flour. To cut, you simply mash the butter into small pieces while mixing in the flour.
2. Cut and mix until the small pieces of butter are more or less spread out in the flour.
3. Stir sugar in milk. Pour sweetened milk into flour mixture. Fold milk into flour evenly.
4. Use your hands to gather dough into a ball. Dough will be sticky so you will have to use some of the extra flour. Place on lightly floured surface.
Directions for coconut bread
1. Divide the dough into two. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten each piece of dough into a rectangle.
2. Grease and flour a 13 x 8 inch pan. Place one of the rectangle into the baking pan. Spoon the cooled coconut mixture on the rectangle in the pan and spread evenly with a knife.
3. Cover the coconut with the second piece of rectangle. Seal the filling by pinching the two layers of dough together around the edges.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until the coconut bread is golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy with some tea, juice or yogurt.