Recipe: How To Prepare Delicious Peppered Gizzard
Most experts in culinary believe that small chops is never complete without the legendary peppered gizzards and isn’t this the truth?
Unlike what you thought, this delicacy is like the simplest meal to prepare and you will never find this to be the truth if you do not try it.
Below is an easy recipe on how to prepare peppered gizzard.
Before you make Your Peppered Gizzards
- Ensure that the inside skins of the gizzards are peeled off, then wash and place them in a pot.
- Cut the onions into big chunks.
- Pound or blitz the peppers (no water).
- Marinate the gizzards with the seasonings if you want. I do not marinate gizzards because it does not make any difference. Gizzards have a rubbery texture so the marinade does not really penetrate the meat. For me, it is just like trying to marinate shaki or kidney.
Preparing the Peppered Gizzards
- Add the stock cube, the thyme and big chunks of onions into the gizzards. If you marinated them, just add the onions.
- Pour water to just under the level of the gizzards and start cooking at medium heat. This quantity of water will dry up by the time the gizzards are well done.
- When the gizzards are well done, remove the big chunks of onions.
- Increase the heat to high and stir constantly till all the remaining liquid in the pot is absorbed. You don’t want to lose any flavour by pouring away the gizzard stock.
- Add salt to taste and stir very well.
- Lay the gizzards flat in a baking bowl.
- Grill in an oven at 170°C or 338°F till the top side is dry and brown. Turn them and grill the underside too till dry and brown. If you don’t have an oven, just deep-fry them.
- Heat the vegetable oil in another pot.
- Add the pepper and the grilled/deep-fried gizzards.
- Stir very well till the pepper is evenly distributed on the gizzards. The vegetable oil ensures that this happens and gives the grilled gizzards a nice glow.
- That’s it! Insert toothpicks and serve.
We have a short video by All Nigerian recipe below