Women come in all shapes and sizes and finding the right clothes that fit your body type may be a hassle. The key, however, is to know your proportions and use fashion to accentuate your best features and hide everything else.
Here are some tips on how to dress for your body type.
Apple body shape
This shape is characterized by slim limbs, smaller bust, and the weight is concentrated around the midsection.
- Draw attention away from your waist and shoulders/arms (wear long sleeves), and draw attention to your bust and neck (e.g. v-necks).
- Patterns tend to look very good on an apple shape body as they flatter and camouflage.
- Choose flared pants over straight-leg or skinny pants, and to help balance out wide shoulders and/or a heavy upper body. Wear bottoms just below your hipbone to draw attention away from your midriff.
- Make sure that any pleats of skirts start below the belly to avoid adding extra volume.
- Avoid wearing everything in one solid color. Better to mix color with a texture or to use several layers in different colors.
Pear body shape
Usually described as the most “curvaceous” body, women with this body type have narrow or sloping shoulders with bigger and more pronounced hips and thighs.
- Avoid trousers that are too low on your hips. The high waist is better.
- waist belts may look good on you as they emphasize your small waist.
- wear a bra that adds to or enhances your bust.
- You will look best if your trousers or skirt are the darkest part of your outfit.
- V-line tops will draw further attention to your upper half.
Hourglass body shape
This body type has a defined waistline, and fat is stored throughout the body.Also the hip and bust tend to be almost the same and quite big.
- Use your waist as the focal point when dressing. Directing attention here will make your curves stand out even more.
- If you have some weight around the abdomen then make sure you buy your dress in supportive fabric(e.g bandage dresses)
- Shape your bust. If you have an hourglass shape, you probably have plenty of busts; your main concern should be to wear a supportive bra so that your chest looks perky, not droopy and saggy.
- Pencil skirts that fit well are ideal for the hourglass as they accentuate your wonderful curves.
- Avoid too many frills on your clothes as they will add extra bulk to places where you don’t need it.
Petite body shape
This body type appears smaller and shorter.
- Stick to monochrome outfits or outfits with few color variations. You would look perfect in simple shift dresses, with little color accents here and there.
- An obvious way to gain height is to wear the heel. However, don’t go overboard with these. Getting heels that are too high will make you look out of proportion
- A well-fitted dress will give you a great silhouette.
- Choose a handbag that fits your physique. In many cases, oversized handbags are not your best choice.
- Avoid wearing very contrasting tops. This will draw more attention to the fact that your upper body is almost the same length as your lower body.
Straight body shape
This body type has hips and shoulders of the same width, with no defined waist. Women with this body type tend to have long legs.
- Medium to high necklines usually works well, especially if you have small bust and long neck.
- Blouses can look really good if they are tucked in
- Shift dresses and empire line dresses work well.
- A knee-length pencil skirt that tapers in at the side will also add some curves and look good
- A-line skirts work really well for this shape