Yam balls can be eaten as snacks, or main meal depending on the amount you eat at a time. You can also serve it as an appetizer when hosting a dinner party. It is suitable for children’s lunch and it can be healthy when eaten in moderation.
Below is a recipe on how to prepare:
-Small tuber of yam
-Mixed peppers chopped
-Spring onions, chopped (optional)
-Ground garlic, (optional)
-Dried or fresh parsley
-Vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel the yam and cut into small chunks, rinse till clean, add to a pan, add enough water to cover it. Add salt to taste and bring to boil till soft.
2. While you are waiting on the yam to boil, separate the egg yolk from white (put in a separate bowl)
3. Drain the oil from the sardine if using sardines in sunflower
4. Check on the yam, once it is done, drain the water, add 2-3tbsp of butter and mash till smooth.
5. Add the parsley, any other dry ingredients you will be using to the mashed yam, add the sardine and mix together till well combined (you can use your hand to mix if you want) check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly
6. Add the yolks and mix to combine
7. Add the finely chopped mixed peppers or homemade hot sauce to the mashed yam and mix again to combine.
8. Whisk the reserved egg white till well combined.
9. At this point, you can choose to put the oil on the stove or wait till you are done moulding the yam balls.
10. Mould the mashed yam to small balls, dip into the whisked egg white and then into the bread crumbs. Place on a clean plate, repeat this process till you have exhausted the mashed yam
11. Place a shallow pan on high heat if you haven’t done so before. Add vegetable oil and heat until hot. Test the oil to be sure it’s hot enough. Add a tiny drop of the mashed yam or egg white and if it floats to the top then the oil is ready to use.
12. Drop the yam balls into the hot oil carefully, do not overcrowd the oil and fry till golden brown. Place on a kitchen towel to drain oil.
13. Repeat process for all the yam balls. Serve immediately or allow to cool. You can have it with salad, hot sauce or just on its own.
Recipe gotten from My Active Kitchen.