Aisha Halilu Buhari is popularly known as the First Lady of Nigeria and the wife of the President, Muhammadu Buhari.
Not many know that she is a trained cosmetologist, beauty therapist, women rights advocate, and author.
Here are some things to know about her as she marks her 50th birthday.
1. Aisha Buhari was born on 17 February 1971 in Adamawa State.
2. Her grandfather, Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu was Nigeria’s first minister of defense.
3. Aisha’s father was a civil engineer, and her mother is a descendant of the Ankali family who are renowned farmers.
4. She had her primary and secondary school education in Adamawa State.
5. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, and a Master’s degree in international affairs and strategic studies from the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna.
6. She bagged a diploma in beauty therapy from the Carlton Institute of Beauty Therapy, Windsor, United Kingdom, and also holds a post-graduate diploma in cosmetology and beauty from Academy Esthetique Beauty Institute of France.
7. Aisha is the founder of Hanzy Spa and principal of Hanzy Beauty Institute, a beauty salon in Kaduna and Abuja which she started years back.
8. She is the author of a book titled Essentials of Beauty Therapy: A Complete Guide for Beauty Specialists, which has been recommended as a text for the NBTE curriculum.
9. She married President Buhari in December 1989 after the death of his first wife and they have five children.
10. She is a children and women’s rights advocate and has an initiative called the Future Assured.
11. Aisha was appointed as a UN Special Ambassador in Nigeria in 2018.
12. She officially adopted the title of the ‘First Lady’ in 2019 five years after Buhari said he would scrap the office.
13.Aisha is a member of the United Kingdom Vocational Training and Charitable Trust and the International Health and Beauty Council.
14. She is very stylish and has been in the news at different times for wearing expensive items.