Nigeria has many interesting delicacies with great taste and nutritional value.
One of this is the Black soup which is a delicacy of the Edo tribe of the South-South region.
Black soup is a delicious and healthy Nigerian soup. It is made from a combination of ground leafy vegetables which gives it a dark color.
The ingredients can easily be gotten from your local market and you can enjoy it with any swallow of your choice.
To prepare your own, you will need:
- 1 bunch of Bitter Leaf
- 1 bunch of Scent leaf (Efirin) – Substitute Basil
- Half a bunch of Ugwu (Pumpkin Leaves)
- 1/2 kg of Beef
- 1/2 kg of Shaki(Tripe)
- Half a kg of Pomo (Cow Skin)
- 1 cup of Crayfish pieces
- 3 pieces of Stockfish
- 1 piece of dry fish
- Seasoning cubes
- 3 cooking spoons of Palm-nut cream
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish powder
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1/2 bulb of Onions
- Wash, season and bring to boil the beef, shaki, pomo, stockfish with onions, scotch bonnet peppers and seasoning cubes.
- Using a blender or with a grinding stone, wash your vegetables and blend the vegetables till smooth.
- Check meats for those that are soft and take out of the pot and allow the others to soften before returning the others to the pot.
- Add the palm-nut cream, crayfish powder, crayfish pieces and smoked fish(broken into pieces) and taste for seasoning.
- Allow the soup simmer for an additional four minutes on low heat and add the grounded vegetables with the chopped yellow pepper.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional two minutes and serve hot with any swallow of your choice.