Recipe: How To Prepare A Delicious Dish Of Ukwu (Breadfruit Porridge)
Ukwa, Breadfruit porridge is a Nigerian delicacy particularly loved by the westerners. This meal is not only nutritious, it is very delicious. Willing to try out a new recipe? Then Ukwa Porridge is the best.
Find below an easy recipe on hoe to make Ukwa porridge.
- 700g African Breadfruit
- 2 medium dry fish
- 2 small stock cubes
- 7g edible potash
- Palm oil (enough to colour)
- 5-6 fresh bitter leaves
- Pepper & Salt (to taste)
How to prepare
- Put the thoroughly washed ukwa in a sizeable pot. You can use a pressure pot because it cooks the ukwa much faster.
- Pour enough water to cover the ukwa. The level of water should be about 1 inch above the level of the ukwa.
- Add the edible potash. Add the dry fish or stock fish, cover the pot and cook till well done. The ukwa is done when the seeds melt when pressed. You may need to top up the water while cooking so watch it closely. If using a pressure pot, top ups will not be necessary.
- Add enough palm oil to the well done ukwa, add pepper, stock cubes and salt to taste.
- Stir. Cover and cook on medium heat till the palm oil changes colour from red to yellow. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Stir and add the bitter leaves.
- Cover and leave to simmer or till the leaves wilt but still green and the ukwa is ready to be served.
We have a simple video by All Nigerian recipe below