Chaya popularly called ‘Hospital Too far‘ and ‘Miracle Leaf’ is a leafy vegetable that originates from Mexico but is commonly found in the southeastern part of Nigeria.
Also known as Tree Spinach, it is called ‘Efo Iyana-Ipaja’ by the Yorubas and ‘Ugu Oyibo’ by the Igbos.
Hospital Too Far is a great source of protein, vitamins, calcium, and iron, ascorbic acid, and also a rich source of antioxidants.
It can be consumed by adding it to your soups, salads, tea, or squeezing it to get the juice but should never be eaten raw as it contains hydrocyanic acid, which is toxic to the body when eaten raw.
It is highly advised that it should be cooked for at least 3-5 mins to remove the toxins before ingesting it.
This plant can cure almost 100 diseases due to its numerous health benefits to the body hence the name ‘God’s Gift’.
Here are some of them.
1.It treats anemia as it contains a large amount of iron and also helps boosts blood production and circulation.
2. It helps in the treatment of asthma.
3. It Prevents Cough and Cold.
4. It lowers blood sugar and is good for diabetic people
5. It aids digestion, treats constipation, and also acts as a laxative
6. It augments calcium in the bone.
7. It helps with weight loss
8. It Improves Memory and Brain function
9. It Improves eye Vision
10. It Prevents Varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
11. It Boosts immunity and fights infections.
12. It eliminates kidney stones
13. It regulates blood pressure as it contains a beta-blocker.
14. It has anti-malarial, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.
15. It reduces cysts and prevents cancer.
16. It treats vaginal discharge and infection by helping to increase the acidity of the vaginal making it difficult for infectious organisms to multiply.
17. It helps in the growth of healthy skin and fingernails.
18. It boosts ovulation.
19. It stimulates the production of healthy sperm and also boosts sexual libido
20. It improves memory and brain health
21. It is effective for treating poor sleep
Here’s how to prepare a healthy cup of Chaya tea:
- 6 Chaya leaves
- 2 cups of water
Boil a sufficient amount of water, then add the Chaya leaves and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Drink a cup of the Chaya tea 3 times a day before meals for best results.