Are you a writer or blogger? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share your content with over 200,000 FabWoman readers
Pregnancy opens doors to a new life, brings new transitions in your own life, and gives you the best of the joys that are cherished till the end of life. Of course, being pregnant is such a magical and blissful experience that pushes you towards motherhood.
However, pregnancy tests to know whether you are pregnant or not can be very stressful for women. While it is a must that you take medical tests to become sure of your pregnancy, there are some techniques that you can carry out at home before even going to the doctor.
All the pregnancy tests mentioned below can be done at home with the household resources which would not cost you extra. Also, the following tests are only the steps to back up your hunch before you visit a hospital.
1. Urine Test
This is the first and the easiest pregnancy test that you can carry out at home when you are in a dilemma about your pregnancy. This test only uses your urine and you can find out about your pregnancy by just looking at it.
- Take a bowl and fill it with your urine, preferably the first one when you wake in the morning.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours to rest.
- If you see a thin white film forming on the surface of the urine, it is the sign that you are pregnant.
2. The Toothpaste Test
Toothpaste test is another easy and fast way to get a home test pregnancy done. The only thing you need to do is look closely at the changing color.
- Take a dab of white toothpaste and add drops of your urine to it.
- Make sure that the sample of urine you use is from the first time you go to the toilet in the morning.
- If you notice the white toothpaste has become frothy or is changing blue in color, you may be pregnant
- If toothpaste doesn’t change, then probably nothing is changing inside you as well.
3. Sugar Test
Another easy and quick home pregnancy test can be done using sugar and urine. While there is hCG hormone playing roles in your body during pregnancy, you can use it to your favor and do a quick pregnancy test.
- Take a spoon full of sugar in a bowl and add the same amount of your first-morning urine into it.
- After waiting for five minutes or more, if you find that sugar is all dissolved in the urine, chances are you are not pregnant.
- But if the sugar remains clumped in the bowl, it indicates that you might be pregnant.
4. Dettol Test
Dettol, the popular antiseptic for keeping the home clean is also a great product to conduct a natural pregnancy test. Here’s how.
- Pour one tablespoon of Dettol into the glass, add 3 tablespoons of your morning urine such that Dettol and urine are in the ratio of 1:3. Observe for five to seven minutes.
- If the urine separates from the Dettol to form a separate layer on top, it means you are pregnant.
- If the solution mixes and does not separate, then the result is negative i.e. there is no pregnancy.
5. Soap Test
Almost any soap can be used for this test regardless of make, color, or addition of fragrance.
- Place the soap in the bowl, pour two tablespoons of your first-morning urine on the soap, and observe.
- If the soap froths and bubbles appear, then it is likely that you are pregnant.
- If there is no pregnancy, there would be no reaction between the soap and urine sample.
6. Salt Test
Table salt is also a very effective substance for a natural pregnancy test.
- Pour some urine sample into the glass, add a pinch or two of salt, and observe for at least three minutes.
- If the salt reacts with the urine, you will observe creamy white clumps being formed; this is a definite sign of pregnancy.
- If there is no reaction whatsoever, the result is negative.
7. Shampoo Test
This test is just as convenient as the toothpaste and soap pregnancy test. It requires no specialised tools and the results can be observed instantly.
- Put two drops of shampoo in a clean bowl, add some water to form a soapy solution, and whisk gently to avoid foaming. Now add a few drops of the collected urine and observe.
- If the shampoo solution begins to froth or forms bubbles, it is a sign that you may be pregnant.
- If there is no reaction, you can safely assume that you are not pregnant.