Are you a writer or blogger? Email email@example.com to share your content with over 200,000 FabWoman readers
Ofe Ugba also known as Shredded Oil Bean Soup is a soup native to the Eastern part of Nigeria specifically the people of Owerri and Mbaise of Imo state.
It can also be called ‘Ofe Ukpaka’ as well because African Oil bean seed is called either Ugba or Ukpaka depending on what part of Igbo land you hail from.
Its major ingredient is the Ugba which gives a super taste and flavour to this soup.
Looking for a new soup to try, then Ofe Ugba is what you need.
For 4 servings, you will need:
- 20 okra fingers
- 1 cup of ugba (milk cup is ok)
- 2 pieces of dry fish (dry catfish)
- 2 pieces stockfish
- 1 smoked mackerel (smoked titus fish)
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Habanero pepper (atarodo)
- 1 handful crayfish
- 1 piece of ogiri okpei (Dawa dawa, iru)
- 1 onion
- Cow skin(Ponmo)
- Pumpkin leaves (Ugu)
- Salt (to taste)
- Soak the stockfish for a few minutes and clean with a food brush.
- Soak the dry fish in cool or lukewarm water till soft. Clean, debone and break into pieces.
- Break the smoked fish into small pieces, debone and rinse.
- Grind the crayfish and the ogiri okpei with a dry mill.
- Cut the Okra fingers into pieces. For the best Ofe Ugba, please do not blend the okra. You can grate it but hand-cut is the best.
- Slice the onion into small pieces.
- Cut up the pepper into small pieces. You can grind it if you wish.
- Cut the garden egg leaves into small pieces.
- In a clean pot, put the washed meat, add onion, seasoning cube, little salt and water, leave to cook for 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the grounded crayfish and pepper combo, kpomo, smoked fish and water to the same level of the content, leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add seasoning cube and salt.
- Remove the fish to avoid breaking into pieces, as okro will be added which will need heavy turning.
- Add the okro, stir, leave for 2 minutes, add the shredded ugu, stir, add the fish that was removed initially and gently stir, be mindful of the fish not to go into pieces, leave for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with any swallow of your choice.