Follow These 3 Steps To Legally Change Your Name After Your Wedding

Advantages Of Court Weddings

So, you have done your traditional wedding, white wedding and gotten registered at the marriage registry and now you have officially gone from Miss. to Mrs. but it doesn’t end there.

As a married woman, you are required to legally change your name on your personal documents and there is a process to it.

It is quite easy and inexpensive and we are here to help you out.

First step

  • The first step is to swear an affidavit in court stating your intention to change your name. An affidavit is a technical term for a sworn statement in writing made especially under oath or on affirmation before an authorized magistrate or officer of the court.

Change of name After wedding nigeria

The affidavit should state your fathers name, your place of residence, your present name, and your new name.

All you need to do now is go to the high court and swear an affidavit saying you have changed from your old name and wish to be known by your new name, and you show your affidavit anywhere you want to present any documentation in your old name.

READ – Not Sure If You Should Have A Court Wedding? These Advantages Would Convince You

Second step

  • The second step is to contact the offices of any leading newspaper in your locality and advertise the change of your name indicating clearly your present name, your husband’s name, your address, and your new name.

Change of name After wedding nigeria

Get your new name printed in the Official Gazette. Send an application to the documentation Department of Publication, Civil registry, requesting them to publish the above advertisement for a change of your name.

Third step

change of name after wedding procedure

Ensure you change your name on all of your personal documents, inform your employers so they can update their employee records (and any tax records).  You will have to attach a copy of the newspaper when applying for other government documents (passport, National identification card, etc).


Related Articles

Join the conversation. Post a comment

Already have an account? Click here to login and post comment