Caribbean rice is another delicacy from the rice family that people are gradually embraced.
Many people think it is difficult and expensive to prepare since a lot of ingredients are involved but the reverse is the case.
Thinking of something different this season?this will be the best time to prepare this meal for a change instead of the normal jollof and fried rice.
Below is a very simple guide on how to make Caribbean rice.
- 3 cups of rice
- 2 KG chicken laps
- 1 cup of sliced green pepper
- 1 cup of sliced red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 cup of sliced carrot
- 3 cup of fried ripe plantain cube
- 1 cup of sliced onions
- 2 spoons of browning
- 3 clubs of maggi or knorr
- salt and pepper to test
- vegetable oil
- 400g of beef cube
NOTE: Beef cubes are just beef (cow meat) that are thinly chopped. The fried plantain cubes are just the regular fried plantain but you have to sliced them in cube shapes.
1. Start by parboiling the chicken with the usual ingredient [I used 2 cube of Maggi, teaspoon each of curry and thyme, a teaspoons of salt and half cup of sliced onion].
2. Once the chicken is properly cooked, don’t allow the stock (meat water) to dry. Pick with a fork and fry or grill.
3. Also parboil the beef cubes in a small pot with a cube of maggi and pinch of salt. Add one cup of water and allow to cook until they are very soft. Separate the beef from the stock once it is well cooked and set aside both the stock and beef.
4. Slice the carrot, plantain, green pepper, onions and beef (if that is not done already).
5. Fry the plantain and set aside. Pour boiled water on 3 cups of rice, allow to sit for 3 minutes, wash and cook until it is 75 percent done.
6. Don’t overcook it, or the food wouldn’t turn out well. You have to watch this rice closely. Add two spoons of browning to the rice, stir evenly and set aside.
7. Join the chicken and beef stock together. It shouldn’t be more than a cup.
8. Set your cooking pot on heat and add 100ml of vegetable oil. Allow to heat for a minute before adding the beef cubes. fry the beef cubes for 3-5 minutes until it darkens.
9. Remove the beef cubes and pour in the remaining sliced onions. Stir, add the sliced green pepper, red bell pepper and carrot.
10. Add the chicken/beef stock, a teaspoon of salt, a cube of maggi (or knorr) and a teaspoon of ground (pepper).
11. Stir all together. Allow a minute, then transfer the colored rice. Turn evenly, taste for salt, you can add another cube of maggi.
12. Once the taste is good enough, add the fried meat and fried plantain.
13. Turn evenly, cover your pot and allow simmering on low heat for 3-5 minutes.
Serve your Caribbean rice with fried or grilled chicken.