Waterleaf has so many health benefits it is absolutely amazing. These leaves are high in fibre and contain anti-oxidants.
Not only that, Waterleaves are rich in Vitamin C which helps to boost your immune system and they are also a great source of Iodine that helps prevent goitre.
More importantly, it provides a great source of Iron which makes it perfect for people that are anaemic.
Below is the easy steps to make a great pot of waterleaf soup.
- 5 medium pieces of beef
- 4 pieces of shaki (beef tripe)
- 1 small bunch of waterleaf
- One handful of washed bitter leaves
- 1/2 cup of crayfish pieces
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (chopped)
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish powder
- 1.5 cooking spoons of palm oil
How to prepare
1. Season and boil your beef and tripe and whatever other protein you may wish to add.
2. Once the water starts to reduce significantly, add the crayfish powder, chopped pepper, crayfish pieces and more seasoning cubes if need be and reduce the heat.
3. Wash and cut the waterleaves thinly. Shred the bitter leaf as well.
4. Allow the water in the pot of the beef reduce drastically then add the oil and immediately add the bitter leaf and water leaf and stir.
5. Take off the heat immediately and allow the vegetables cook itself in the warm pot without being on the fire so you don’t lose the nutrients from the vegetables.