Looking to try your hand on a new breakfast recipe? This spicy Poached Egg recipe will be the perfect meal to try.
This dish is a popular East-African delicacy called Shakshuka, which loosely translates to ‘all mixed up’ in Arabic which is also perfect for breakfast. Here are the steps needed to prepare the Spicy Poached Eggs.
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 2. 1 small size garlic, minced
- 1 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size red pepper, chopped
- 2 large-sized tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground pepper (Optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional)
- 5 eggs
- 1 serving spoon of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning to taste
1. Place a frying pan on medium heat, add 1 serving spoon of vegetable oil, and heat for 30 secs.
2. Add chopped onions, saute for 2 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
3. Add minced garlic and stir for a minute
4. Add the green and red peppers, fry for 5 more minutes.
5. Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir till the mixture has blended thoroughly.
6. Add ground pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and seasoning as desired. Allow to simmer on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, so the sauce reduces.
7. Crack the eggs, one at a time, straight into the pan. Remember to space it out and not cram the eggs. Cover the frying pan and allow the eggs to cook in the sauce for 10 minutes.
8. Check if the eggs have cooked to your preference, if not cook for an additional minute.
Watch this video for more details