Meet 26-Year-Old Nigerian Photographer Who Just Won An Award By Int’l Photo Platform, Getty Images
Nigerian documentary photographer, Yagazie Emezi, has announced the exciting news of being awarded the Inaugural Creative Bursary Award by Getty Images.
The 26-year-old is among the six recipients selected by an industry-leading panel of the international photo curating platform to get amounts between $2000 and $5000.
For the selection, participants were asked to submit a project proposal and visual brief in support of their creative idea. Awardees were selected from the pool of entries.
The annual $40,000 Bursary will enable them to realise commercial photographic projects which, without funding, they might not have otherwise been able to pursue.
Below are a few things to know about her:
1. Yagazie hails from Abia State and she was born in 1992
2. The Vlogger is a graduate of Cultural Anthropology and African Studies from the University of New Mexico.
3. She came into limelight for her continuous project ‘Another Tale by Moonlight’.
4. She began her journey as a self-taught photographer in early 2015 and has been doing well ever since.
5. The young lady has been commissioned by Al-Jazeera, New York Times, Vogue, Refinery29, Everyday Projects, and UNFPA.
6. In 2017, she was a participant in the World Press Photo Masterclass West Africa and is a contributor to Everyday Africa.
7. Emezi has worked on several projects including ‘Felaberation’ and the Lagos Fashion Week.
8. She is a photographer that focuses primarily on documentary, fashion and travel across the African continent
Her Instagram post is below
Excited to announce that I am among the 6 recipients selected for the @gettyimages Creative Bursary (@gettyimagescreative) for emerging photographers! Thanks to the funds, I’ll finally have some small piece of mind to set time aside to put form to the things in my head lol. Congratulations to the rest of the recipients (it was great to see a familiar name on the list representing Kenya @findingneema ??)! Ready for the challenge and looking forward to seeing how we make use of this opportunity to tell more of our necessary stories <3 . Image from my “Tinko Tinko” piece. Wearing @orangecultureng Playtime with @mercieamaka | @faith__johnson | @tunji_labi | @joshuadedeji_ of @fowlermodels #yagazieemezi