With its creamy texture and natural sweetness, coconut milk tastes like it should be bad for you. And yet, it’s anything but that. Coconut milk, also known as nariyal ka doodh in Hindi, is often considered a ‘miracle liquid’ as “it helps protect the body from infections. This milk can actually work wonders for your skin, hair and even overall health.
Coconut milk is packed with vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, and B6 as well as iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. Dr. Rahul Nagar, Max Hospitals says, “Coconut milk contains good concentration of lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid (MCFA) which gets converted to monolaurin in the body, a compound with antiviral and antibacterial properties”.
Here Are 10 amazing coconut milk benefits for hair, face and skin.
1. Because of its excellent moisturizing properties, coconut milk can be used as a scalp tonic for dry, itchy and irritated scalp. A gentle massage for 5 minutes with home-made coconut milk followed by a hot towel can have a good nourishing effect”. This is particularly beneficial for restoring dry, damaged and brittle hair, as well as split ends.
2. Coconut milk promotes hair growth
3. You can either wash your hair with equal amounts of coconut milk and shampoo, or use coconut milk as a leave-in conditioner. This adds volume to your hair, makes it less greasy and promotes longer, thicker hair (with that shine you’ve always wanted).
4. It can be used as a Makeup Remover
5. It Prevents Acne
Coconut milk can also be used as a face scrub for gentle exfoliation. All you need to do is soak oats in coconut milk for 10 minutes.
6. Prevents Premature Ageing
8. Gentle application of coconut milk provides an excellent moisturizing effect in dry skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. The natural fatty acids in coconut milk help treat dry and irritated skin and remove harmful bacteria.