If you have a strict skincare regimen that you follow daily, it is probably something like this: cleanser, exfoliate, toner, moisturizer, and perhaps a weekly face mask.
The great news is that you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your face and skin, but surprisingly, there is one more important thing you should consider adding to your beauty routine that in the long run would have amazing overall benefits to your skin and health.
Facial steaming is a DIY skin treatment that cleanses and nourishes.
Also, it can improve the effectiveness of some of the beauty steps mentioned above.
Here are some reasons to include steaming in your beauty regime.
1.) It opens up your pores.
Clogged pores are one of the core contributing factors to acne breakouts, it can lead to infection and severe skin irritation.
Whether you suffer from acne or have acne-free skin, one of the best ways to cleanse facial pores is by steaming your face.
The warm steam causes your face to sweat, which opens up your pores and helps soften the surface layer of dead skin cells thereby releasing dirt and debris that could be the cause of breakouts and which would otherwise stay trapped in the skin.
When steam is applied to the face, it softens blackhead, gently releasing them from their follicular openings.
2.) It makes your skin absorb other skincare products better.
Once your pores have opened and the dirt and debris have been removed, your clean pores would now better absorb products you might use, such as a face mask, serum or cream.
This indicates that skin absorption is more effective at higher temperatures, which could hint at a potential benefit of facial steaming and absorption of skin creams and other products.
3.) It helps remove toxins
When you sweat profusely in the steam room or have a hot detoxifying bath, your body perspires and releases toxins. Your face is definitely no different, therefore, facial steaming is a great way to release toxins that might be causing imbalances in your skin.
4.) It promotes relaxation
Steaming has a calming effect on the body system at large, and if you add essential oils or herbs to the water before you steam, you would have a soothing, healing aromatherapy session in just at-home facial steam. It also a great way to relieve stress.
5.) It hydrates your skin
Steaming hydrates the skin by helping to increase oil production, naturally moisturizing the face. So, if you have dry skin, after steaming, once you apply your hydrating lotions and serums, your skin is going to hold on to them more and this is great for dry skin because it will help your skin retain that moisture as well as remove those dead dry skin cells that make your face look dry and make your skin look soft and supple.
6.) It promotes collagen and elastin
The increased blood flow experienced during a steam facial promotes collagen and elastin production. This results in firmer, younger-looking skin.
7.) It enhances circulation
Without getting too scientific, steaming your face triggers a thermo-regulating response in which blood vessels in your skin dilate so that more blood can flow to the skin, which then delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the tissue. Hence, lack of steaming is what gives tired, dull skin that rosy, dewy post-steam glow. To enhance circulation, please include steaming in your beauty routine.
How to steam
- Spa treatment: A facial at a spa may include a variety of treatments, including mud treatments, exfoliation, massage, and masks, along with steaming.
- A facial steamer: If you’re trying to recreate your spa facial experience in the comfort of your home, you can buy an at-home facial steamer. Most importantly, they deliver the right amount of steam for a safe period of time so that your skin doesn’t get damaged.
- Steaming with warm towels: With this method, you immerse super clean towels in hot water, wring them out, allow them to cool down to a comfortable temperature, and then apply them to your face.
- Bowl of steaming water: Get a pot of water to a boil, transfer the water to a ceramic or glass bowl, drape a towel over your head and the bowl, trapping the steam in. Place your face close enough to the steam so you feel it on your face, but it should not be so close that your skin feels like it is burning or overheating.
- Steam for a minimum of five minutes, and no more than 10 minutes.
- Add a facial steam tea or essential oil to infuse your skin with therapeutic herbs, flowers, and roots.
- Steam no more than once a week for the best results.
- Remember, if you have severe acne or a serious skin condition, please consult your physician before doing at-home facial steam.