Soya milk or soymilk is a plant-based drink produced by soaking and grinding soybeans, boiling the mixture, and filtering out remaining particulates. It is a refreshing rich drink which contains Vitamins A, B and D.
It is equally a great alternative to cow milk for those who are lactose intolerance.
Try your hands on this soya milk recipe from All Nigerian Recipes
- 1 De Rica cup soya beans
- 4 litres (1 gallon) cold water
- 15 dates
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 cap vanilla flavour
- Rinse and soak the soya beans overnight or for at least 10 hours. Use a generous amount of water. Do not soak it for longer than this time because it will start having a fermented smell and taste.
- After almost 10 hours, rinse and remove the seeds from the dates. Then cut into pieces.
- Cut the vanilla along with the pod and set aside. Cutting the pod exposes the vanilla beans where all the flavour is.
- After 10 hours, you will notice that the soya beans are swollen, softer and the skin comes off easily.
- Rub the soaked soya beans between your palms to separate the skin from the beans.
- Pour more water and watch the skin come to the surface.
- Decant the skin using the method of decanting the skin when peeling beans for Nigerian Moi Moi.
- When there is no more skin, blend the soya beans and dates in a blender till smooth. To do this, put some beans in the blender, add some dates and pour water to cover the beans then blend.
- Strain the blend using a sieve.
- Pour the resulting soya milk into a big pot and start cooking on medium heat. Stir it often so it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When it is about to boil, scoop out the foam so it does not overflow.
- Add the vanilla pods. Keep stirring and keep cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool down completely.
- Then strain again using a chiffon cloth, cheesecloth or lady’s stocking to remove the finest particles.
- Pour into a bottle, cover and keep in your fridge. Drink within 2 or 3 days. If you want to keep it for much longer, keep it in the freezer.
Also, watch this detailed video tutorial.