Egusi-Peppersoup or oil-free Egusi as some like to call originates from Delta state and is quite common among the Urhobo.
This delicacy is a combination of the regular Egusi and Peppersoup ingredient, creating one of the best soup experiences you can ever have.
The process of making is simple and the ingredients readily available in a local market close to you.
Looking for a new recipe, try your hands on this spicy egusi pepper soup this weekend.
– Egusi (Melon Seeds)
– Beef (Chicken/Goat meat optional)
– Dried fish
– Pepper soup spice
– Seasoning cubes
– Ground crayfish
– Dried Shrimps
1. Blend the Egusi seeds with some water to form a somewhat thick but loose paste.
2. Place a pot on medium heat, add the broth, Dried Shrimps and Goat Meat, follow with all the Seasoning except the Peppersoup Spice, cover the pot and allow to cook for about 7 minutes.
3. Pour the blended Egusi into the pot and then add the Peppersoup Spice, allow to cook for 8 – 10 minutes, for the soup to thicken a bit.
4. Sprinkle a handful of Uziza leaves or Scent Leaves, allow to cook for 2 minutes to allow the Uziza release its flavour and Voila! Your soup is ready!
5. Enjoy with your favourite Swallow or enjoy as it is.