What is Bulgur Wheat?
Bulgur wheat is a whole wheat grain that has been cracked and partially pre-cooked. It is very high in protein & fiber and low in fat & calories.
If you are a member of the fit-fam gang looking for healthy food alternatives, Bulgar wheat is one of the bests options after brown rice.
There are so many meals you can make with Bulgur but today let’s try our hands-on Jollof since jollof rice is one of the most popular foods in Nigeria.
Try your hands on this Jollof Bulgur Recipe this holiday season.
- 1½ cups of coarse bulgur
- 2 cups of hot water
- ½ tsp of olive or sunflower oil
- 1 sliced beef sausage(optional)
- 11/2 tbsps.of tomato paste
- 1 small habanero pepper or ata-rodo
- 1small red bell pepper ie tatase
- one small onion divided
- ½tsp of black pepper
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 1tsp of butter
- ½tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of thyme
- 1-2 small bay leaves
- ½tsp of curry powder
- 1 knorr cube
- 1 handful of mixed vegetKnorr(I used carrots and peas)
- Salt to taste
- 1 small plum tomato cut into little pieces or 6 cherry tomatoes cut into half pieces for garnishing
- A hand full of sliced onions
- ½ an inch of grated ginger
- ⅛tsp of grated nutmeg
Steps to Prepare
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the ½ tsp of olive or sunflower oil and some salt to taste.
- Pour in the dry bulgur(make sure that the water is on the same level as the grains. Pour out any excess water) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover tightly and cook for about 10minutes. Once the water is dry, turn off the heat.
- Fluff with a fork and let it sit in the refrigerator or spread on a tray to cool. This prevents sogginess
- Meanwhile, blend half of the small onion along with the bell pepper and ata-rodo; then pour it through a fine-mesh sieve or boil to dry out any excess water
- Meanwhile, in a skillet or saucepan, sear the beef sausages until golden brown on each side. Drain onto a paper towel.
- Heat the oil and butter in the same skillet. Reduce the heat and sauté the onion, white pepper, thyme, curry, black pepper, and bay leaves for a few minutes to release their flavors.
- Add the tomato paste and fry until it looks grainy; then add the pepper mix, season with the Knorr and fry until it looks dark and the oil has floated to the top or until the tomato and pepper mix has separated from the oil.
- Pour in the cooked bulgur and mix thoroughly until the stew has coated each grain of bulgur.
- Pour in your mixed vegetables and cooked sausages; then add the garnishes and stir.
- Check for seasonings, add some salt to taste if needed and set aside