Making Plantain Pancakes is another way to use up overripe (black)plantains, but you can also make use of the ripe (yellow) ones too.
Plantains are rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous), Vitamins(A, B6 and C) and fibre and they also taste really good.
Plantain pancakes are simply delicious and are great for breakfast. Try your hands on this easy recipe from Nigerian Food Tv
Ingredients for Plantain Pancakes
– 2 Ripe/overripe Plantains
– 200 gr Plain Flour or Wheat flour
– 2 raw Eggs
– 2 to 3 tablespoonful evaporated milk or powdered milk or condensed milk
– 1to 2 Tablespoonful Sugar
– 100ml Water (more or less)
– Chili pepper or Scotch bonnet(atarodo) (to taste)
– 1 tablespoonful Onions (minced)(to taste)
– A pinch of Salt
– A pinch of grated nutmeg(optional)
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder or baking soda(to make it fluffy)
– 2 to 3 tablespoonful vegetable oil (for greasing the pan)
* Mash the plantains until smooth and without lumps
To get a smooth consistency, you can puree in a blender or mix the mashed plantains thoroughly with a little water, pass it through a tight sieve and mash any lumpy plantains with a spoon.
*Break the eggs into a wide bowl, add the milk, sugar and mashed or blended plantains, mix together using a whisk or a fork.
* Add the grated nutmeg(optional), the minced onions, pepper and salt.
* Gradually sift in the baking soda and flour and keep on whisking. The mixture would begin to thicken and look lumpy.
Leave the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
* Pour a little oil on a pan, enough to grease the pan; spread the oil with a brush to grease the whole surface and heat up until hot.
* Using a ladle(soup spoon), scoop up some of the pancake batter and pour into the hot pan.
Gently tilt the pan, so that the batter can evenly coat the surface of the pan.
* Cook one side of the Pancake (on low heat) for a few seconds; as you begin to see air bubbles and the sides of the pancake turning dark; flip over and cook the other side.
Plantain Pancake can be enjoyed as a snack with a chilled drink or as a breakfast/dinner meal with a cool/hot beverage.
Watch this video tutorial for more.