Fried chicken is a common food served in parties and several homes. We have brought something new to help you switch up your cooking skills. Heard of Buttermilk fried chicken? We bet not.
Buttermilk fried chicken is a slightly sour fried chicken that has been soaked in fermented or sour milk, which is the buttermilk.
Buttermilk fried chicken recipe is very simple to make at any time, all you need is your buttermilk some chicken spices and plain flour to coat the chicken. This recipe can be served at birthday parties or simply during lunch hours.
You can decide to make yours right in your kitchen by following the steps provided in this post and the recipe used.
1.1 cup of buttermilk
2.5-10 pieces of chicken
3.1 cup of all-purpose flour
4.1 tablespoon of paprika
5.1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
6.1 teaspoon of garlic powder
7.1 small grated ginger (optional) to season the chicken
8.1 teaspoon of ginger powder
9.1 seasoning cube
10.teaspoon of onions powder or grated onions
11.Salt to taste
12.Peanut/ Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the chicken into your preferred sizes and drain from excess liquid.
- Add thyme, pepper, ginger, onions and all the dry spices to the chicken and toast.
- Add in the buttermilk to the seasoned chicken to soak well, store in the fridge for two hours or overnight.
- Add flour into a shallow bowl, season the flour with the remaining dry spices and mix it to combine and set aside.
- Bring out the marinated chicken from the fridge and drain from the buttermilk.
- Dredge the chicken one after the other in the seasoned flour until its all covered with the flour.
- Repeat the process to all the chicken pieces and shake off excess flour, then set aside.
- Heat up oil deep enough in a skillet on a high heat, once the oil is hot enough, fry the buttermilk battered chicken few at a time on one side.
- Turn to the next side and fry until the whole chicken is totally golden and crisp, this should take about 10 -20 minutes for the chicken to cook through depending on the parts and size of your chicken.
- Once the whole fried, chicken is thoroughly cooked and crisp and you are happy with what you’re seeing, drain on a cooling rack or paper towel.
Enjoy your buttermilk fried chicken chilled with salad.
Watch this video for more details